Today I want to share a practice that has done wonders for my dental and oral health, Oil Pulling. This practice helps reduce bacteria and plaque in the mouth as well as strengthen teeth. I started oil pulling a few years ago and have been doing it regularly for the last year.
Oil pulling is super easy. Swish a small amount of coconut oil around in your mouth, I started with 5 mins and now go for 15-20 minutes than spit it out. The oil pulls out the toxins stored in your salivary glands. The less toxins you have in our mouth the less bacteria and plaque will accumulate.
The first few times I tried oil pulling I couldn’t do it for more than five minutes, to be honest the texture took quite some time to get use to. It’s totally fine to work your way up. Just start slow, do it as you walk around as you get ready in the morning. It takes about 20 minutes for the plaque in your mouth to breakdown.
Oil pulling has become part of my morning ritual . It’s important to spit out the oil into the trash as it can eventually clog the drain. Afterwards I rinse my mouth well with water and brush my teeth. Oil pulling has become a daily ritual for me and I waned to share to 8 benefits of Oil Pulling with you.
- Removes Toxins – The oil filters the toxin in our blood through the blood stream in your month.
- Whitens Teeth – The oil possesses natural antibiotic and antiviral properties that brighten and cleans teeth, keeping them pearly white.
- Repairs Cracked Lips – the oil leaves the lightest layer over your lips making it an extra source of moisture for your lips, just an added bonus!
- Improves Oral Health – Some studies suggest that oil pulling may decrease harmful bacteria in your mouth, prevent plaque formation and improve both gum health and oral hygiene.**
- Boosts Immune System – When there are no bacteria living in your mouth, your immune system is freed up to focus on the problems in other parts of your body.
- Improves Skin – The benefits even extend to your skin! Removing toxins from the body that would otherwise make it into the bloodstream means the skin has a chance to shine.
- Reduces Inflammations – It works primarily by decreasing the harmful bacteria and plaque in the mouth that contribute to gum disease
- Prevents Cavities – Several studies have found that oil pulling can help reduce the number of bacteria in the mouth, preventing cavities and tooth decay.
**Additionally, note that it should not be used in place of traditional oral hygiene practices, such as brushing your teeth, flossing, getting routine cleanings and consulting your dentist regarding any oral hygiene problems.